PRACTICE WITH MODALS AND MODAL-LIKE VERBS
1) Select and correct.
_B__ 1) Many people can’t understand how bees can fly
_B__ 2) Michael can’t stop thinking that there’s going to be a problem with this project
_A__3) Rodney has always been able swim faster than I can.
_A__ 4) Our class is supposed to finish this book before we can move on to the next one.
__B_ 5) All of the books that you will need for this report can be found in the library.
__A_ 6) John can give you the information you are going to need for your report tomorrow.
2) choose the right one.
1) Both the book and the notebook on the table (is/are) mine.
2) The fly is an insect that (lives/live) in people’s homes.
3) The sugar maple tree, from which maple sugar (is/are) made, (grows/grow) in New England.
4) Either her uncle or her cousins (is/are) coming to pick her up.
5) Linguistics, sociology, and anthropology (is/are) social sciences concerned with the study of humankind.
6) A number of students (wants/want) to go to Boston this weekend.
7) The motorcycle, like other two-wheeled vehicles, (is/are) more dangerous than vehicles having four wheels.
8) My brother believes that cabbage nd broccoli (is/are) bad for your health.
9) This library, with over 700 million volumes, (offers/offer) students a wide variety of reference materials.
10) Poetry (is/are) recognized as one of the most complex means of artistic expression.
11) Anybody who (wants/want) to join us at the dance should let us know.
12) It (was/were) Peter’s friends who called last night.
13) Twenty gallons of water (is/are) a lot to carry.
14) There (is/are) species of fish that never (comes/come) to the surface of the ocean.
15) A pair of gloves (was/were) found at the scene of the crime.
16) The oranges in the bowl on the counter (is/are) from California.
3) Circle the underlined part that is incorrect.
1) Nutritionists currently believe that vitamin A and beta-carotene aid in preventing some kinds of cancer.
2) The Swedish settlers who built the first log cabins in the state of Delawere brought their logs with from their homeland.
3) During the early 1970’s, the American public collectively had become health conscious, turning away from the highly processed foods that had been so popular in the past.
4) In 1968, John Steinbeck was givengave the Nobel Prize for literature for his acclaimed novel, The Grapes of Wrath.
5) It has always been thought that cell mutation is a random event; however, geneticists found find evidence to the contrary over the past few years.
6) Important news is now conveyed electronically from one side of the globe to the other in a matter of seconds.
7) Democrats had dominated the White House for five terms when Republican Dwight D. Eisenhower was elected in 1952.